Dec 14, 2012 / 12:14 pm
A Calgary-area school has suspended the use of lanyards after a tragic accident that sent a Grade 3 student to hospital with serious injuries.
Greg Bass, superintendent for Rocky View Schools, says the student was rushed to hospital Wednesday afternoon after the child's lanyard became tangled on a bathroom door at Bearspaw School northwest of the city.
Bass says another student came across the child in a bathroom and ran back to class to tell a teacher.
The teacher ran back to the washroom and then called 911.
Bass says lanyards cords that hang around the neck and to which something is attached are used in the Rocky View division on a school-by-school basis for hallway or bathroom passes as well as identification.
School officials continue to gather information about exactly what happened, but the RCMP have ruled out foul play.
Read more Canada News
- Senator crashes car on Parliament Hill
- Don't compare Marion Barry to Rob Ford
- Suspended senator becomes reporter
- Town mourns 4 teens killed in crash
- Obese yet healthy a myth says study
- Ont. man arrested for murder of BC man
- Canadian man accused of espionage
- Harper sings, but he doesn't dance
- Inmate takes hostage at Edmonton jail
- Cdn torture policy irks security alliance
- Animal abuse law enforcement lacking
- RCMP arrest man on spying charges