Vernon and North Okanagan News
Vernon pilot project for families Dec. 13, 2012.
The Ministry of Children and Family Development along with the Ministry of Health announced in Vernon today the launch of a pilot project that intends to strengthen government support for families affected by mental illness, substance abuse and domestic violence.
The press conference was held at the Vernon Health Unit and attended by representatives of the RCMP, the Vernon Women’s Transition House Society, Interior Health as well as the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
Materials provided at the conference list the goals of the project are to:
- Identify, as early as possible, parents with serious untreated mental illness and/or problematic substance abuse and/or risk of domestic violence when families come in contact with health care and/or MCFD services.
- Determine when there is risk to children, connect affected families with appropriate supports and services, and monitor their progress over time.
According to Stephanie Cadieux, Minister of Children and Family Development, the project also aims to “avoid duplication” and “build a more consistent protocol across the province”.
The BC government currently commits more than $70-million a year in services and programs for those involved in domestic violence and other crimes.
“Our government continues to focus on a strong, effective, and coordinated approach to protecting BC children and families,” said Cadieux.
Initially, the project will take place only in Vernon and Richmond, but following an evaluation process is expected to expand to the rest of British Columbia by 2014.
The cost of the project will be covered using available budget resources provided to the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Children and Family Development.
Read more Vernon / N. Okanagan News
- Trashed for killing bearsPenticton / S. Okanagan - 7:00 pm
- Motorcycle victims ID'dVernon / N. Okanagan - 3:24 pm
- Friends mourn victims Canada - 6:51 pm
- The cat came back ....Kelowna - 7:28 pm
Vernon Discussion Forum
District of Coldstream
Village of Lumby
City of Armstrong
City of Enderby
District of Sicamous
Okanagan Regional Library