Dec 13, 2012 / 1:47 pm
A Kelowna RCMP member targeted school zones this week with astounding results.
Over the course of just a few hours yesterday, police found a number of speeding infractions in school zones near Casorso Elementary School despite only targeting vehicles travelling in excess of 50 km/h. The number of violations is quite high, especially considering children are at risk.
On December 3, over a period of 90 minutes, 5 drivers were stopped for speeding in a school zone, 1 for no insurance, 1 for speeding within a municipality, and 1 for a driver's licence infraction.
December 11 yielded similar results in the same 90 minute time frame with 5 drivers stopped for speeding in a school zone and 1 for another infraction.
In three hours on December 12, 15 drivers were stopped for speeding in a school zone, 1 driver for using an electronic device, 1 vehicle had a defect , and 1 driver was not wearing a seatbelt. Four of those contacts were with commercial vehicles.
RCMP want to remind drivers that School zones are in effect from 8 am to 5 p.m. every school day.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16
- Collision causes gas spill May 16
- Cross-dressing groper on the loose May 16
- Kelowna crime down in first quarter May 15