Members of the RCMP Citizen Patrol and Auxiliary Constables want to make sure 'The Grinch' doesn't spoil your Christmas.
Both organizations will be out patrolling shopping centres over the next 11 days to try and prevent thefts from vehicles.
Thieves typically target vehicles in busy mall parking lots this time of year.
Parking lot patrols will be conducted throughout the afternoon and evening until December 23.
It is estimated volunteers will commit as many as 600 hours during this crime prevention initiative.
In order to lessen the chance you will be a target, police recommend taking the following steps.
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Avoid shopping alone where possible.
- Lock your vehicle at all times and don't leave packages or other valuables in public view.
- Lock things in your trunk or, if possible, take them directly home.
- Don't buy more than you can comfortably carry and have your keys in hand when approaching your vehicle.
- Stay alert to your surroundings and report suspicious activity to the police.
RCMP volunteers help make a difference in the community.
Anyone interested in exploring volunteer opportunities with the RCMP are encouraged to visit one of the RCMP's Community Policing Offices or contact Garth Letcher, Community Policing Coordinator at 250-470-6339.