Central Okanagan News
Kelowna RCMP are warning people who use community mailboxes to check their mail regularly after thieves hit several boxes in the city over the weekend.
Cst. Kris Clark says police received at least half a dozen separate reports of thefts from various mailboxes Monday.
Each of the boxes had several compartments broken into.
Aside from the damage to the mail boxes it is unknown what mail items were stolen.
While Clark admits thieves may have been looking for Christmas cash, he says identity theft is the more typical target.
That can happen year round says Clark.
Areas targeted include:
- Hedeman Court to Trumpeter Road
- Chute Lake Road to Frost Road
- Neid Road to East Kelowna Road
- 5600 block of Goudie Road
- 6500 block of Sun Valley Road
- 7700 block of Sun Valley Road
"Mail theft can lead to identity theft and fraud if documents containing personal financial information are stolen," says Clark.
There are several steps you can take to help protect your identity and prevent mail theft.
- Collect your mail promptly after delivery
- If you will be away get Canada Post to put a hold on your mail until you return
- When moving, file a change of address with Canada Post and advise your banks and other companies of your new address
- If your bills fail to arrive contact companies immediately to ensure bills have not been fraudulently redirected
- Shred documents that contain personal financial information such as statements and credit card offers
Clark adds paying bills online also cuts down on paper and lessens the ways in which thieves can obtain personal information.
Read more Central Okanagan articles
- EMS called to PM's homeCanada - 2:47 pm
- Abducted boy saved by songWorld - 1:01 pm
- Medical pot for 2 yr. oldPenticton / S. Okanagan - 12:50 pm
- Dozens speak on land swapPenticton / S. Okanagan - 12:06 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library