Sir Paul McCartney is set to front Nirvana at the 12.12.12 concert in New York tonight.
The legendary Beatles musician is to team up with the surviving members of the grunge band - Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic - for a special performance at the star studded benefit.
The appearance comes after Paul had earlier phoned Dave, who had invited him to ''jam with some mates'' in the studio, only for them to be joined by bass player Krist and touring guitarist Pat Smear, who were in Nirvana with singer Kurt Cobain until his suicide in 1994.
Speaking of his collaboration, Paul told The Sun newspaper: ''I didn't really know who they were. They are saying how good it is to be back together. I said 'Whoa? You guys haven't played together for all that time?
''And somebody whispered to me 'That's Nirvana. You're Kurt.' I couldn't believe it.''
It has not been confirmed if Paul, 70, and the Nirvana members will play one of the 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' band's iconic songs or a Beatles track, but they are thought to be debuting a new song they have written together.
The super group will be joined on the concert bill by The Rolling Stones, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, Kanye West, Alicia Keys and Roger Waters, among others.
Funds raised from the show will benefit people in the Caribbean and US who have been stricken by Hurricane Sandy in October.
- Britney inspired by GomezEntertainment 11:15 am - 196 views
- Sutherland praises RobertsEntertainment 10:30 am - 314 views
- Zayn slams 'fake' celebritiesEntertainment 9:45 am - 271 views
- Brad Pitt skipping premiereEntertainment 9:04 am - 453 views
- OSO launches seasonEntertainment 8:59 am - 652 views
- Schumer 'most dangerous'Entertainment 6:21 am - 4,253 views
- Gomez hits 100M followersEntertainment 4,094 views
- Madonna defends RosieEntertainment 1,501 views
- Amber Rose upset Entertainment 1,265 views