Dec 11, 2012 / 5:00 am
It is one year ago (December 12, 2011) that Shayla Driver died after her vehicle plunged into the McKinley reservoir.
McKinley road has since been improved by the city. Thanks to the persistence of Driver's mother Tonya Alton, city Councilor Mohini Singh and residents of McKinley Landing.
Alton says it only took seven to eight weeks to change the road, but those changes won't bring back her 21-year-old daughter.
"It will save someone else's life. My daughter . . . she was a social worker, she was for social change, and she would have wanted me to stand-up for others, so that no other parent goes through the nightmare I have been going through."
In honour of remembering Driver a natural granite stone monument has been placed behind the barricades near the 30 foot embankment Driver's car plummeted down.
"If she hadn't died that road would have stayed the same, someone had to die so changes could be made to that road and unfortunately it was my baby girl," explains Alton.
The public is welcome to attend a candle light memorial for Driver on Dec. 12 at McKinley Park, 2186 Bennett Rd, at 7:30 p.m.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- FortisBC offers Union binding arbitration Dec 9
- Glenmore food drive tonight Dec 9
- Garage fire quickly knocked down Dec 9
- Thrift store celebrates 10 years strong Dec 9
- Big White Sweater Ball Dec 9
- Castanet's Week in Review Dec 8
- Kelowna teens 'write for rights' Dec 8
- Paper carrier waits for crucial surgery Dec 8
- Cost of dying going up Dec 8
- Paper carrier sent to VGH Dec 7