The headline sounds like a seasonal song, but some drivers were singing a different tune after they were caught up in road checks at the start of the weekend.
On the Friday night, December 8, from approximately 8 p.m. to 4 a.m., members of the Integrated Road Safety Unit (IRSU) Central Okanagan Traffic Services, Kelowna general duty, and Auxiliary members participated in numerous road checks throughout Kelowna. Members of MADD were also on hand.
Members sought to make the roads safer by ensuring driver sobriety, licensing, and vehicle safety.
By the numbers:
- Twenty driving prohibitions were issued, including seven 90 day Immediate Roadside Driving Prohibitions (IRP), ten 3 day IRP's, two 24 hour prohibitions for drugs and alcohol, and a 12 hour driving prohibition.
- Numerous roadside screening tests, and Standard Field Sobriety Tests were utilized.
Two individuals were arrested, one for breach of an order, another for obstructing a peace officer, and personation.
- Seventeen violation tickets were issued for a variety of infractions, the most common issued involved driving contrary to restriction (an "N" driver under the influence of alcohol or with too many passengers).
RCMP said they would like to thank the public for their continued patience and co-operation at these checks.
Read more Kelowna News
- Boonstock beginsPenticton / S. Okanagan - 2:11 pm
- Pro-Palestinians protestWest Kelowna - 3:07 pm
- Standing up for Israel?Poll - 5:00 pm
- YLW runway clearKelowna - 1:02 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library