Dec 7, 2012 / 7:20 pm
A tour bus driver who prosecutors said was all but asleep at the wheel was acquitted Friday of manslaughter and negligent homicide in a crash last year that killed 15 gamblers on their way from a Connecticut casino to Chinatown in New York City's borough of Queens.
Ophadell Williams was found guilty on one count of aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. The judge sentenced him to 30 days in prison, which he has served. He also was ordered to pay a fee of $500.
The crash wracked Chinatown, where many of the passengers lived. At the time, about 30,000 Chinese New Yorkers were boarding discount buses travelling from Chinatown to casinos each week.
City Councilwoman Margaret Chin, who represents the neighbourhood, said Friday that "justice has not been served in this case."
Williams argued throughout the trial that he had been awake and alert, and said the crash was not the result of reckless behaviour or extreme exhaustion. He said a tractor-trailer cut him off, causing him to swerve and hit a guardrail. But investigators could find no indication that had occurred.
His lawyer had said he was wracked with guilt over the crash, but not guilty of manslaughter.
"It happened as a motor vehicle accident, not as some crime," said Williams' lawyer, Patrick Bruno. "He tried to avoid tragedy, and tragedy occurred."
The March 12, 2011, crash happened on Interstate 95 at daybreak as Williams was ferrying a busload of gamblers to Manhattan's Chinatown from the Mohegan Sun casino in Uncasville, Connecticut. The bus crashed just feet (meters) from a road sign that read: "Welcome to the Bronx."
The bus struck a guard rail, toppled over and hit a signpost that tore open the top before skittering to a stop.
The victims were mostly Chinese men and women over the age of 40 who were regulars at casinos. About half died. The others were injured. Survivors missing limbs testified in court, including Ren Xiang Yao who spoke of how he lost both arms when he raised them up instinctively when the bus crashed. He said he didn't see the crash, though he remembers when the rescue crews arrived.
The National Transportation Safety Board said in June that the accident was probably caused by driver fatigue, and a bus company that provided too little safety oversight. It stopped short of saying Williams had fallen asleep.
Williams worked for World Wide Tours of Greater New York. Federal regulators shut down the bus operator after the accident for safety violations. Williams had not turned in any driver's logs while working for the company as required by federal safety regulations, yet World Wide took no action, federal investigators said.
Read more World News
- Three years in prison for ivory smuggler
- Nelson Mandela, prisoner and president
- Nelson Mandela dies at 95
- Powerful storm slams Europe
- Suicide bombing in Yemen kills 18
- Wildlife workers try to rescue whales
- 1 killed as gales hit Scotland
- Two dead in shooting near N.C. school
- School shooting 911 calls released
- Saying Grace costs $46 million
- Biden in Beijing amidst tension
- Train engineer sleepy at the controls
(Click for RSS instructions.)