The accused Quebec election night shooter is being sent for a psychiatric evaluation to determine if he's fit to stand trial.
Richard Henry Bain appeared briefly in a Montreal courtroom today, launching into a lengthy diatribe about being sent on a mission by Jesus Christ to rid Quebec of a separatist problem.
After the comments, a judge hearing the case agreed an assessment was necessary.
Bain's legal-aid attorney told reporters it has been impossible to prepare a defence for him.
The fishing-lodge owner faces 16 charges, including first-degree murder; three counts of attempted murder; arson; and a number of weapons charges stemming from the Sept. 4 incident where two people were shot and one was killed.
The deceased, Denis Blanchette, a 48-year-old stagehand at the PQ's victory rally, was shot outside Montreal's Metropolis concert hall.
Premier Pauline Marois told a television show earlier this week she believes she may have been the target of a political assassination attempt on election night.
The premier had previously said little about the Sept. 4 events.
Read more Canada News
- Parachutist hits houseVernon / N. Okanagan - 6:47 pm
- Boonstock liquor decision finalPenticton / S. Okanagan - 7:00 pm
- Disaster relief from stormKamloops - 6:34 pm
- Movie set burned in firePenticton / S. Okanagan - 6:30 pm
Government of Canada
Canada Revenue Agency