Dec 7, 2012 / 6:30 am
An investigation is underway on a homicide in Kamloops.
The Major Crime Unit of the Kamloops RCMP is investigating the discovery of a body in an undeveloped area of Guerin Creek. The body was found on Wednesday December 5.
A detailed forensic autopsy was conducted on Thursday (December 6) and investigators received confirmation of the victims’ identity and a conclusive determination that the death was a homicide. The cause of death is not being released.
The victim was identified as a 16-year-old first nation’s female from the Terrace area. The Kamloops RCMP has been working in cooperation with the Terrace RCMP in connection with a missing person file from that area.
The teenager’s identity is not being disclosed at this time pending notification of next of kin. The deceased’s name will be released at the discretion of the BC Coroners Service.
The emerging information being gathered by the Major Crime Unit investigators has focused investigative attention on the 12 hour time line preceding the discovery of the victim's body around 11:30 a.m. yesterday.
The deceased had been in Kamloops for an undisclosed period of time and had been in contact with associates in the community.
Police are still asking anyone who saw or heard anything suspicious in the Guerin Creek area from Tuesday evening to Wednesday morning to contact the Kamloops RCMP or Crimestoppers.
Read more BC News
- Man and woman hurt in double shooting
- Pipeline spill southwest of Merritt
- Charges laid in skateboard assault case
- Pipeline backlash following latest spill
- Crash of small plane claims lone pilot
- Woman gives birth at Richmond mall
- Pin pad fraud
- Malaysian company to invest $16B
- Premier's first priority? Raises for staff
- Charges approved against 229 in riot
- RCMP seeking stolen dirtbike
- Okanagan prepares for invasive species
(Click for RSS instructions.)