Dec 6, 2012 / 4:45 pm
The NHL labour situation has hit another roadblock.
The NHL Players' Association says the league has rejected its latest proposal, one that union head Donald Fehr called "a clear outline" to end the dispute.
Fehr says he received a voicemail from the league saying that the moves the players made were not acceptable and that there was no reason to remain in New York for more talks.
The union head says this latest development suggests the labour dispute will "not be resolved in the immediate future."
The league has not commented on the proposal or the status of the talks.
Fehr says he doesn't know when the two sides will meet again.
He made the comments only a few minutes after detailing the players' proposal to the media.
He said the players "responded comprehensively" to the issues that had been the focus of meetings over the last couple of days.
Those issues included player pensions and transition payments.
Fehr says he believes the two sides are "clearly very close if not on top of one another in connection with most of the major issues."
He says the union presented an eight-year proposal with an option for opting out after Year 6.
The developments come after the two sides held bargaining sessions Tuesday and Wednesday that stretched well into the wee hours.
The sides returned to the table for about an hour Thursday night with a much smaller group than the one that met the previous two days.
Deputy commissioner Bill Daly and general counsel Bob Batterman represented the league while Fehr and special counsel Steve Fehr sat in for the union along with a group of players.
None of the six league owners who were part of marathon sessions Tuesday and Wednesday took part.
Four members of that group, Pittsburgh's Ron Burkle, Tampa's Jeff Vinik, Toronto's Larry Tanenbaum and Winnipeg's Mark Chipman were considered moderates who travelled to New York in an effort to broker a deal.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Bruins' Shawn Thornton has in-person hearing Friday
- Olympiakos, Leverkusen among last 16 in Champions League
- NHL board of governors satisfied with Brendan Shanahan
- Hurricanes will attempt to slow Oilers' Taylor Hall
- High jumper Derek Drouin earns 3 Athletics Canada awards
- Rangers defenceman Marc Staal slowed by concussion
- Georges St-Pierre to announce future plans Friday
- TFC trades goalkeeper Stefan Frei, re-signs Joe Bendik
- Jets hope to snap 3-game home losing skid vs. Blues
- Senators look to consistent Clarke MacArthur vs. Buffalo
- Hockey Night Online: NHL salary cap going up
- Kings find Quick fix ahead of Canadiens matchup
(Click for RSS instructions.)