Dec 6, 2012 / 10:20 am
RCMP are warning women to be cautious after a teenage girl was sexually assaulted Wednesday night in Rutland.
Police say the 16-year-old girl was waiting for a friend in the 200 block of Hollywood Road North about 8:40 Wednesday night when she was approached by an unknown man.
"He spoke with her briefly before offering his hand in greeting," says Cst. Kris Clark.
"When she reached out to shake his hand, he pulled her hand down to touch his genitals. The girl fled from the man who may have followed her a short distance. She escaped otherwise unharmed."
Clark says the suspect is described as:
- Dark skin, possibly Hispanic
- 5'5" to 5'7"
- 180 lbs
- 50-55 years of age
- Short black hair
- Spoke with broken English, possibly a Spanish accent
- Wearing a black jacket with a white stripe on the back
- Wore keys on his waistline
Clark says women should adopt the buddy system and should not walk alone.
Anyone with information regarding this incident are asked to call Kelowna RCMP at 250-762-3300 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Liberal triumph good for business May 15
- Mission Creek flood watch lifted May 14
- Paving coming to a road near you May 14
- Two-wheel transportation turns the tide May 14
- Capital spending may top $500M by 2020 May 14
- Kelowna Council highlights May 13
- Water Quality Advisory - Black Mountain May 13
- May Day parade set for Saturday May 13
- Flood Watch May 13
- Week in Review May 12