Dec 6, 2012 / 7:10 am
The Toronto stock market was higher amid strong earnings reports from TD Bank (TSX:TD), CIBC (TSX:CM) and National Bank (TSX:NA) along with a major announcement from grocer Loblaw Companies Ltd. (TSX: L).
The S&P/TSX composite index added 7.68 points to 12,164.97 as the market failed to find lift from the bank reports.
Loblaw stock soared almost 25 per cent to $41.84 after the company said it wants to unlock shareholder value by creating one of the largest real estate investment trusts in Canada. Units of the REIT are expected to be sold in an initial public offering to be completed in mid-2013, subject to regulatory approvals.
TD Bank's (TSX:TD) quarterly profit amounted to $1.66 per share before adjustments, down two cents per share from the same time last year. On an adjusted basis, TD had $1.83 per share of diluted earnings, up from $1.75 per share a year earlier and two cents a share above a consensus estimate. Its shares dropped 89 cents to $81.69.
TD also announced it is buying the U.S.-based Epoch investment management business for US$668 million in cash.
CIBC (TSX:CM) shares dipped two cents to $80.50 as the bank had $852 million or $2.02 of net income in the fourth quarter, an increase of nearly $100 million from the same time last year. On an adjusted basis, CIBC's fourth-quarter profit amounted to $2.04 per share, six cents above estimates.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.19||+0.08|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||+0.04|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.55||0.00|
I saw your comment while reading your business article on Castanet regarding Harvey’s Hamburgers being the “Best Tasting Hamburgers". It is true, Harvey’s usually wins that awa...
Opportunities to Be Aware of This Year As the 2013 year is coming to an end, individuals should be mindful of year-end tax planning opportunities that will need to be implemented prior to December 31s...
When was the last time you thought about your mortgage? Most people take out a mortgage with their bank for five years and then forget about it. When you took out that mortgage did anyone discuss ot...
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Tiff Macklem to step down from Bank of Canada
- US economy expands at 3.6 per cent rate in Q3 but business stockpiles drive half of the growth
- US jobless claims tumble 23,000 to 298,000, sign that companies are laying off fewer workers
- CIBC plans to open a branch at Pearson airport to draw in travellers, newcomers
- Transcontinental buying 74 Sun Media community papers in Quebec for $75 million
- RBC president and CEO Gordon Nixon to retire in Aug. 2014
- 'SpongeBob SquarePants,' other Nickelodeon programs come to China online viewers in Sohu deal
- Cost rises to $8.5B for North West refinery project northeast of Edmonton
- PBO even more optimistic than Flaherty of balanced budget in election year 2015
- Dollarama Q3 sales, profit increase as discount chain continues expansion
- Railroads say they'll offer health care benefits to same-sex spouses, 1 day after lawsuit
- WestJet November traffic grows, but load factor dips on higher capacity