Nov 29, 2012 / 6:02 am
The Toronto stock market was higher, extending the gains of the previous session amid growing optimism that Democrats and Republicans will get a deal on averting a U.S. fiscal crisis by the end of December.
The S&P/TSX composite index gained 81.21 points to 12,221.54 while the Canadian dollar was off 0.09 of a cent to 100.73 cents US.
U.S. indexes were also higher amid data showing the economy grew at an annualized rate of 2.7 per cent during the third quarter, which was much better than the two per cent rate estimated a month ago.
The Dow Jones industrials ran ahead 38.36 points to 13,023.47.
The Nasdaq was up 15.71 points to 3,007.49, while the S&P 500 index climbed 5.64 points to 1,415.57.
Royal Bank (TSX:RY) was up 36 cents to $58.71 as the bank posted quarterly net earnings of $1.9 billion or $1.25 a share. Adjusted net earnings came in at $1.27 a share, beating estimates by a penny.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.16||-0.02|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.35||+0.021|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.53||0.00|
Big Picture Bank earnings and upbeat economic news highlight an active week In contrast with last week’s quieter, U.S. holiday-shortened week, the first week of December was a comparatively acti...
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
- Empire says healthier food offering and Safeway deal will keep it competitive
- Americans make more big purchases this holiday season, but traditional stores see fewer sales
- Merrill Lynch paying $131.8M to settle SEC charges of misleading investors on mortgage bonds
- Beastie Boys fire back with lawsuit over Northern California toy company song parody
- Ontario Lottery looking to expand in Niagara Falls with entertainment centre
- U.S. Republican party's internal tensions erupt into the open
- Supreme Court gives green light to class suit against fund managers
- Winter travel costs on the rise as Transat also contemplates currency surcharge
- CRTC wants to know if big players charge competition too much for network use
- US stocks are mixed as robust economic reports and a new budget deal suggest early Fed exit
- Hike gas tax by up to 10 cents a litre to help fund public transit: panel
- Ad or not, soaring WestJet viral video a branding win: marketing experts