Nov 29, 2012 / 6:58 am
The Royal Bank (TSX:RY) says it had a record annual profit in 2012, including $1.9 billion of net earnings in the fourth quarter.
The quarterly profit amounted to $1.25 per share of net earnings, or $1.27 per share of adjusted diluted earnings.
For the full-year ended Oct. 31, RBC had $7.5 billion of net earnings.
That's up 17 per cent from 2011 and equal to $4.96 per share of net earnings or $5 per share on an adjusted basis.
The adjusted profit beat consensus estimates by a penny per share in both the quarter and the full year.
RBC president and chief executive, Gord Nixon, says the company had solid earnings from most of its businesses including Canadian banking, which contributed more than $1 billion of earnings during the quarter.
"While the financial industry is expected to face headwinds in 2013, we are confident in our ability to weather these challenges given our strong financial and competitive position," Nixon said in a statement.
The bank says it increased its provisions for credit losses in the fourth quarter to $362 million, up $86 million from last year.
It attributed the increased provisions to a single account at its RBC Capital wholesale division as well as business lending in its Canadian banking business.
Royal's fourth-quarter net income was up 22 per cent from $1.57 billion in the fourth quarter of 2011.
The 2012 annual profit was up from $6.44 billion last year, which included a $526-million loss at discontinued operations.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.28||+0.09|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.54||-0.01|
This column is the last of three, for how to prove your personal injury claim. It is the piece de resistance of the trilogy, the Chuck Norris piece – the final say! As mentioned in the first two...
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
- Bruce Lee's iconic yellow jumpsuit fetches $100,000 at Hong Kong auction
- Spotify to allow users to create playlists on phones and tablets and listen to them for free
- US lurching from 'crisis to crisis,' politics influenced by money: Gary Doer
- Governments offers help to develop seal products in backing Atlantic industry
- Precision Drilling shares plummet as Alberta fund manager sells stake
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- CIBC logs $836M profit in Q4, cautiously optimistic about next year
- Auto insurers urge holiday season refresher as young drivers return home
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Canada creates 21,600 jobs, Nov. jobless rate 6.9%
- New CEO will help prepare Royal Bank for future, as divisions feel the pressure
- TD Bank Q4 profit rises to $1.62 billion, adjusted earnings up but miss estimate
- TSX drops 105 points amid mixed earnings from RBC, TD and CIBC, Fed concerns