Nov 28, 2012 / 2:11 pm
Improvements designed to make McKinley Road safer have now been complete.
The city spent more than $450,000 to improve the road, the only arterial link between McKinley Landing and Glenmore,
Councillor, Mohini Singh spearheaded the move to have the dangerous stretch of road upgraded after Shayla Driver, 21, lost control of her vehicle beside the reservoir on Dec.12, 2011. Shayla was trapped inside as it rolled down a 30 foot embankment and slid into the reservoir. She did not survive.
It appeared as if she lost control on the sharp, single curve on the road.
Improvements to the road began October 3.
Those improvements included:
- Increasing the curve radius from 40 metres to 60 metres
- Straightening and adding a larger curve at the start of the reservoir
- Widening travel lanes to 3.5 metres with a one metre shoulder
- Installing precast concrete barriers adjacent to the reservoir
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library
- Kelowna teens 'write for rights' Dec 8
- Paper carrier waits for crucial surgery Dec 8
- Cost of dying going up Dec 8
- Paper carrier sent to VGH Dec 7
- Roses for women's awareness Dec 7
- Lights aglow on Big White Dec 7
- Creating community Dec 7
- Disabled person given the squeeze Dec 7
- Free Wi-Fi Dec 7
- Jail for man who beat his grandfather Dec 7