Nov 28, 2012 / 2:11 pm
Improvements designed to make McKinley Road safer have now been complete.
The city spent more than $450,000 to improve the road, the only arterial link between McKinley Landing and Glenmore,
Councillor, Mohini Singh spearheaded the move to have the dangerous stretch of road upgraded after Shayla Driver, 21, lost control of her vehicle beside the reservoir on Dec.12, 2011. Shayla was trapped inside as it rolled down a 30 foot embankment and slid into the reservoir. She did not survive.
It appeared as if she lost control on the sharp, single curve on the road.
Improvements to the road began October 3.
Those improvements included:
- Increasing the curve radius from 40 metres to 60 metres
- Straightening and adding a larger curve at the start of the reservoir
- Widening travel lanes to 3.5 metres with a one metre shoulder
- Installing precast concrete barriers adjacent to the reservoir
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Gas leak capped on Borden Ave. Jun 17
- Wiens trial to resume in July Jun 17
- Room to grow - hotel tax continues Jun 17
- Sugar closes sorting plant Jun 17
- Assault sends one man to hospital Jun 17
- Memory card looking for a home Jun 17
- Firetrucks off to Peru Jun 17
- Weather Report Jun 17
- Motorcycle, deer collide near Rutland Jun 16
- Bee gone Bernard honey makers Jun 16