Nov 26, 2012 / 9:15 am
A pair of incidents yesterday (Sunday) at the Kelowna International Airport put emergency crews on high alert.
Shortly after 6 p.m., an Air Canada Jazz DH8 experienced problems and was forced to make an emergency landing.
“We had an aircraft that had departed Penticton and had requested an emergency landing at Kelowna for a suspected mechanical issue,” says Jenelle Hynes, marketing and media relations manager at YLW.
“And then when the aircraft did land, there was some hydraulic fluid that did leak out of the aircraft onto the runway.”
Shortly thereafter, the pilot of a Cessna radioed the tower to say they may have a mechanical issue too.
“They were either from Kelowna or coming into Kelowna and had just given the tower a heads up and our crews were already on stand-by so we had our aircraft rescue firefighters along with the Kelowna Fire Department,” says Hynes.
Both planes landed safely with the only other issue being some commercial flights that were delayed in the process.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Grad party rollover May 20
- Annual regatta is largest in BC Interior May 19
- Rutland May Day Parade video May 19
- Kasugai Gardens open into the evening May 19
- The Week in Review May 19
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17