Nov 24, 2012 / 12:15 pm
A 64-year-old Quebec man and his grandson are dead after falling through the ice while going for a skate on a lake near their home.
Quebec provincial police say the nine-year-old boy died in hospital overnight while his grandfather died a few hours earlier.
The pair went skating Friday afternoon on a private lake in Quebec's Eastern Townships and police say the thin ice broke under their weight.
Relatives in the house nearby tried in vain to save the pair.
The boy's grandmother suffered hypothermia in the rescue attempt.
Police are investigating the incident.
Read more Canada News
- HootSuite to help young entrepreneurs
- Cdn businessman killed says report
- Bahrain, Algeria, Iraq get new Cdn guns
- First responders honoured in Quebec
- Fans camp in -40 to score special brew
- Harper leaves today for South Africa
- Let kids with asthma carry puffers
- Former Harper director gets key job
- Roots led to writing for Alice Munro
- Man accused of killing three-year-old
- Harper and former PMs pay respect
- Man to stand trial after Mounties shot