Nov 24, 2012 / 12:15 pm
A 64-year-old Quebec man and his grandson are dead after falling through the ice while going for a skate on a lake near their home.
Quebec provincial police say the nine-year-old boy died in hospital overnight while his grandfather died a few hours earlier.
The pair went skating Friday afternoon on a private lake in Quebec's Eastern Townships and police say the thin ice broke under their weight.
Relatives in the house nearby tried in vain to save the pair.
The boy's grandmother suffered hypothermia in the rescue attempt.
Police are investigating the incident.
Read more Canada News
- Fishermen missing off NB coast
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford cancels show
- Family found unconscious in fire
- Saskatchewan zombies
- Sen. Pamela Wallin latest to leave caucus
- 5.1 earthquake near Ottawa
- Mom and 5-year-old killed in Calgary
- Cocaine video & Toronto's mayor
- Duffy quits Conservative caucus
- Liquor Control Board averts strike
- Senator Duffy resigns from caucus
- Accused sexual predator to plea guilty