Nov 23, 2012 / 3:17 pm
The inaugural Special Olympics BC (SOBC) Snow Sports Festival will take place in West Kelowna March 2-3, 2013.
This new competitive event will bring together Special Olympics athletes from B.C. and Alberta to race in alpine skiing events at Crystal Mountain Resort and cross-country skiing and snowshoeing events at Telemark Nordic Club.
The festival is expected to draw roughly 145 athletes from all over the province and over 100 athletes and coaches from Alberta.
Due to the sports cycle which operates on a four-year rotation involving regional qualifiers and Provincial, National and World games, the festival is a way for athletes to stay competitive who aren’t going to the World Games and may not have a chance to race in their sports this season.
Many of the competitors will be gearing up to compete in regional qualifiers in the 2013-14 winter season and hoping to advance to the 2015 SOBC Winter Games in Kamloops.
Volunteers are needed to stage the races and educational opportunities.
Anyone interested can contact Cari Henri at: 1-888-854-2276 or [email protected]
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Premier's riding goes 'Up in Smoke' Nov 27
- Latest Westside Road project complete Nov 27
- Fearless coyote kills family dog Nov 26
- Box of wine tossed after crash Nov 25
- Alleged arsonist also property manager Nov 22
- West Kelowna grow-op dismantled Nov 20
- West K set for sweeping zoning changes Nov 20
- Young men brave icy waters to save man Nov 19
- Christmas lights tour for the food bank Nov 19
- Designers wanted for civic centre Nov 18