Nov 23, 2012 / 3:17 pm
The inaugural Special Olympics BC (SOBC) Snow Sports Festival will take place in West Kelowna March 2-3, 2013.
This new competitive event will bring together Special Olympics athletes from B.C. and Alberta to race in alpine skiing events at Crystal Mountain Resort and cross-country skiing and snowshoeing events at Telemark Nordic Club.
The festival is expected to draw roughly 145 athletes from all over the province and over 100 athletes and coaches from Alberta.
Due to the sports cycle which operates on a four-year rotation involving regional qualifiers and Provincial, National and World games, the festival is a way for athletes to stay competitive who aren’t going to the World Games and may not have a chance to race in their sports this season.
Many of the competitors will be gearing up to compete in regional qualifiers in the 2013-14 winter season and hoping to advance to the 2015 SOBC Winter Games in Kamloops.
Volunteers are needed to stage the races and educational opportunities.
Anyone interested can contact Cari Henri at: 1-888-854-2276 or email@example.com
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Golf course fire ruled an arson May 13
- Uncovering youth homelessness May 13
- Westshore water advisory May 12
- West Kelowna will control its own pests May 12
- Shannon Lake clubhouse video May 11
- Van goes into restaurant May 11
- Clubhouse destroyed by fire May 11
- Mystery driver wrecks car May 10
- Motorists asked to avoid Angus Drive May 10
- Burnt out headlight tips off cops May 9