Nov 23, 2012 / 12:56 pm
A British court has found a circus owner guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to a performing elephant.
A judge at Northampton Crown Court convicted Bobby Roberts after the court was shown secretly-filmed footage of a groom hitting 58-year-old elephant Anne with a pitchfork.
The video, which was recorded by the group Animal Defenders International in 2011, showed the groom kicking and hitting the Asian elephant, which was seen chained by a foot and a hind leg in a barn.
The 69-year-old Roberts told the court during a five-day trial that he would never have condoned the behaviour of the groom, who is believed to have returned to his home in Romania.
He was given a three-year conditional discharge Friday.
Read more World News
- Man dies after shark bites his foot in Maui
- Train going too fast at curve before crash
- Safety review after ferry commandeered
- Bangkok police remove concrete barriers
- Dozens of same-sex marriages in Hawaii
- Online spending better on Black Friday
- China launches rover to survey moon
- Unrepentant Nazi killer dies at 92
- NYC commuter train derails, killing 4
- Ukrainians stage huge anti-govt rally
- Speed a factor in deadly celeb car crash
- Passenger train derails near NY
(Click for RSS instructions.)