Nov 23, 2012 / 7:19 am
The Toronto stock market was little changed Friday in what could be a relatively quiet session, with U.S. markets still in Thanksgiving holiday mode and reopening for a shortened session.
The S&P/TSX composite index was off 10.83 points points to 12,142.27 after gaining 53 points Thursday while the TSX Venture Exchange rose 1.98 points to 1,250.34.
Shares in Research In Motion (TSX:RIM) (NASDAQ:RIMM) were down 57 cents or 4.75 per cent to $11.43. RIM stock spiked 17 per cent Thursday after National Bank Financial analyst Kris Thompson increased his price target for the BlackBerry maker to US$15 from US$12. On the Nasdaq, which was closed Thursday for Thanksgiving, the shares surged 12 per cent to US$11.49.
The Canadian dollar was up 0.03 of a cent to 100.31 cents US amid tame inflation data. Statistics Canada reported that the consumer price index was up 1.2 per cent year over year, slightly higher than an expected reading of 1.1 per cent.
U.S. markets were higher on hopes for solid results from "Black Friday," the unofficial start to the holiday retail season.
The Dow Jones industrials gained 55.55 points to 12,892.44, the Nasdaq composite index is 14.41 points higher to 2,940.96 and the S&P 500 index edged up 5.62 points to 1,396.65.
Read more Business News
|QHR Technologies Inc||1.28||+0.09|
|Anavex Life Sciences||0.38||0.00|
|Copper Mountain Mining||1.54||-0.01|
The bank manager just phoned and asked for full and immediate repayment of the line of credit because the latest, (and they were late!), financial statements showed continuing losses and falling sales...
Recently I recorded a video series for my keynote speaking business. It was called from Faith to Future. In one of the episodes, I talked about the concept of using hard work to get out of a difficul...
I saw your comment while reading your business article on Castanet regarding Harvey’s Hamburgers being the “Best Tasting Hamburgers". It is true, Harvey’s usually wins that awa...
- Precision Drilling shares plummet as Alberta fund manager sells stake
- Most actively traded companies on the TSX, TSX Venture Exchange markets
- CIBC logs $836M profit in Q4, cautiously optimistic about next year
- Auto insurers urge holiday season refresher as young drivers return home
- Canadian Press NewsAlert: Canada creates 21,600 jobs, Nov. jobless rate 6.9%
- New CEO will help prepare Royal Bank for future, as divisions feel the pressure
- TD Bank Q4 profit rises to $1.62 billion, adjusted earnings up but miss estimate
- TSX drops 105 points amid mixed earnings from RBC, TD and CIBC, Fed concerns
- Loonie advances, traders look to Canadian, U.S. jobs data being released Friday
- Detroit bankruptcy judge follows up major bench ruling with written opinion, urges compromise
- Barrick Gold critic says Munk's departure will be a positive but concerns remain
- Canada's agriculture minister says time running short on reaching new WTO deal