Central Okanagan News
It's all in a day's work, facing robbers, rescuing children and dodging bullets for some of the 60 police officers who were honoured Thursday night.
Lieutenant Governor Judith Guichon and Shirley Bond, Minister of Justice and Attorney General, presented the awards to outstanding officers in a ceremony marking BC's 32nd annual Police Honours Night.
Minister Bond explained the night's awards award recipients are officers who exemplify bravery, resourcefulness, training and focus.
"It is appropriate that they are recognized in this special way. On behalf of all British Columbians we want to thank them for their selfless public service," says Bond.
Three RCMP officers from the Okaganan will be recognized for meritorious service at the event.
- From the Kelowna detachment Constables Jared Etsell (now with Bella Coola) and Jennifer Hunter for their dedication to duty and using sound judgement to rescue a driver from a partially submerged vehicle in the McKinley Reservoir.
- Vernon Cst. Michael Jacobson (now with North Okanagan Traffic Services) for his dedication while off-duty in rendering first aid to a seriously injured pedestrian who had been struck by a vehicle.
Overall, 25 officers received the award of valour, the highest award for a police officer in BC. This award recognizes officers who made a decision to place themselves in extreme danger to save others.
Thirty-four police officers were awarded meritorious service honours. This designates officers who acted in a manner significantly beyond the expected.
One retired deputy commissioner received a framed certificate for outstanding service.
Since 1981, Police Honours Night has provided an annual occasion for government to recognize members of the RCMP and municipal police service who have acted in an exemplary manner.
Read more Central Okanagan articles
- Diver finds 13 more bodiesWorld - 7:24 pm
- Market president steps downKelowna - 2:30 pm
- A splash of colour, a dash of funKelowna - 12:32 pm
- A warm Easter servingKelowna - 1:30 pm
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library