The following are highlights of the District of West Kelowna Council meeting held Tuesday, November 20, 2012.
Secondary Suites - Council agreed to defer consideration of bylaw amendments and an Official Community Plan amendment as part of an update to the District’s secondary suite regulations. These regulations and associated policy have existed for two years and were created to address the issue of illegal secondary suites in the community. After analysis of the two years the bylaw has been in existence Council requested that the bylaw be revised as follows:
- Registration fee to a one-time fee rather than an annual fee; fee would be $125 for voluntary applications, and $250 for a complaint-driven application
- Amendments to the septic field requirements
- Removal of the owner-occupancy requirement
- Requirement of a business license for secondary suites
- Maintain a complaint-based enforcement approach
Council held a public hearing on the matter on October 23, 2012.