Nov 19, 2012 / 9:31 am
The captain of the Flamengo soccer team that won the Brazilian championship in 2009 is facing trial on charges he kidnapped an ex-girlfriend and had her killed.
The case starting Monday involves goalkeeper Bruno Fernandes and has shocked Brazil and the world of soccer. Fernandes is accused of orchestrating the kidnapping of 25-year-old model Eliza Samudio.
Prosecutors say Samudio was lured to Minas Gerais state with a false promise that the player would assume the paternity of her baby. Investigators say Samudio was held captive in a ranch, killed, quartered and fed to dogs.
The player was already found guilty in Dec. 2010 on separate charges of kidnapping Samudio and trying to force her to abort the child. Samudio levied these accusations before she disappeared in June 2010.
Read more World News
- Jackson concerts cost AEG $24M
- Oklahoma school takes direct hit
- James Caan revisits the '70s at Cannes
- Military sex abuse victims seek care
- Did North Korea launch missiles?
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
(Click for RSS instructions.)