Nov 17, 2012 / 1:27 pm
The UBC Okanagan women’s volleyball team knocked off the No. 6 Manitoba Bisons in five sets to improve the Heat’s record on Friday nights to 4-0.
The upset started brewing early in Kelowna as the host team took the first two sets over the favoured Bisons. Manitoba quickly got things back on track and went on to take the next two sets, forcing a fifth and deciding set versus the home squad. UBC Okanagan relied on the inspired play of outside hitter Myrte Schön (4th year, Langley, BC), who tallied five kills in the fifth set to put away from Manitoba and take the match 3-2 (25-22, 25-23, 21-25, 18-25, 15-11).
“We got behind in the fifth set and we found a new gear,” noted head coach Steve Manuel.
Player of the game Myrte Schön had eight kills in the first four sets, totalling 13 for the night, and nine digs. Fourth year libero Lenai Schmidt (Vernon, BC) had a team high of 25 digs. Fifth year outside hitter Alexandra Basso (Kelowna, BC) contributed 11 kills and 18 digs to the Heat’s game against the Bisons.
Both teams wrestled for control throughout the game. The Bisons had 90 digs and the Heat had 81 digs over the course of the game. There were 10 lead changes and 20 tie scores throughout the five sets.
For the visiting team, fifth year libero Nicole Hall had a game high of 31 digs. Second year middle Jordana Milne (Winnipeg, MB) had 15 kills and six digs, and fellow second year right side Crystal Mulder (Winnipeg, MB) had 10 kills and 15 digs.
The Heat were able to contain Manitoba’s leading offensive player, Rachel Cockrell, an .077 attack percentage. Before last night's match, Cockrell averaged 4.42 kills per set, converting 33% of her chances.
“Manitoba is a good team,” continued Manuel. “It could have gone either way. [In tomorrow’s game] we need to stay calm and focus and not focus on the big picture but each point.”
The Bisons fall to 4-2 in league play and the Heat move up to be 5-2. The Heat can look forward to another exciting game when they play the Bisons Saturday night at 5 p.m.
Games will be broadcast on www.canadawest.tv.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Canucks leaning on Ryan Kesler to open homestand
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240M US deal with Mariners: report
- FIFA World Cup draw pits champion Spain vs. Netherlands
- American Ted Ligety shrugs off pressure in Olympic year
- Flames gunning for rare 3rd straight victory
- J.P. Arencibia, Rangers strike 1-year deal: report
- Gary Player kissed feet of Nelson Mandela in admiration
- Nelson Mandela inspired sports superstars
- Quads return to midget tourney
- Patrick Chan settles for silver in ISU Grand Prix Final
- Taylor Hall nets hat trick as Oilers shock Avalanche
- HNIC Radio: Steve Yzerman on Stamkos's recovery
(Click for RSS instructions.)