Nov 16, 2012 / 6:06 am
Police say a woman driving with a small child in her car crashed through a gate at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and drove on the runway.
Sgt. Trent Crump says the woman rammed an airport gate around 10 p.m. Thursday and started crossing the runway. Police officers forced the car to stop after a few minutes and detained the driver.
Crump says the driver and the child were not injured. He says that the woman may have been impaired but did not elaborate.
Police say they're not aware of any flights being endangered, but airport operations were stopped for about 15 minutes because of the incident.
Sky Harbor communications departments declined to release any details, saying only that all operations returned to normal shortly after a "security incident."
Police also declined to release any more information.
Read more World News
- Texas executes convicted murderer
- Trapped underwater for 3 days
- Ferry theft leads to security review
- Iceland's 'first ever' fatal police shooting
- Bob Dylan handed preliminary charges
- Man dies after shark bites his foot in Maui
- Train going too fast at curve before crash
- Safety review after ferry commandeered
- Bangkok police remove concrete barriers
- Dozens of same-sex marriages in Hawaii
- Online spending better on Black Friday
- China launches rover to survey moon
(Click for RSS instructions.)