Nov 16, 2012 / 6:06 am
Police say a woman driving with a small child in her car crashed through a gate at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and drove on the runway.
Sgt. Trent Crump says the woman rammed an airport gate around 10 p.m. Thursday and started crossing the runway. Police officers forced the car to stop after a few minutes and detained the driver.
Crump says the driver and the child were not injured. He says that the woman may have been impaired but did not elaborate.
Police say they're not aware of any flights being endangered, but airport operations were stopped for about 15 minutes because of the incident.
Sky Harbor communications departments declined to release any details, saying only that all operations returned to normal shortly after a "security incident."
Police also declined to release any more information.
Read more World News
- Wave of attacks in Iraq, kill at least 70
- John Lennon guitar sells for $408,000
- Arrests made in Las Vegas iPad killing
- Mice and lizards return from space
- Plane crashes at airshow in Turkey
- One winning ticket for $590M Powerball
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
(Click for RSS instructions.)