Nov 13, 2012 / 3:04 pm
Construction came to a sudden halt around 2 p.m. this afternoon at 1854 Kirschner Road when a gas line was broken.
Captain Eric Simpson of the Kelowna Fire Department says it appears that a grader hit a gas line on the back of the building.
“They didn’t know if it was there and they happened to rip off what looks like a 2-inch main,” says Simpson.
“So right now we just have the gas coming out of the main and we’re waiting for the gas company to show up.”
Simpson proceeded to do a walk-through of the area and says most of the businesses have shut down.
“I told the owners that if they smell gas coming to report it immediately, but right now nobody is in danger and it seems to be dissipating upwards and not going too much into the buildings at this time.”
Construction will not resume until the gas is completely shut off and workers will not be allowed into the job site.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21
- Tuesday crash sends 4 to hospital May 21
- Quiet start to the summer season May 21
- Stabbing arrest May 21
- Last day to register for PlayOn! Kelowna May 21
- Thunderstorm watch in effect May 21
- Calling all green thumbs May 21
- Glenmore crash May 20
- Grad party rollover May 20
- Annual regatta is largest in BC Interior May 19