Nov 10, 2012 / 9:46 am
The Kelowna Fire Department is calling an early morning blaze on Hein Road suspicious.
The fire began just before 3 a.m. at 405 Hein Road when someone reported seeing smoke in the area.
Upon arrival, crews observed smoke coming from the basement area and while attacking the fire, initial crews noticed some suspicious materials.
Fire crews were then pulled out of the residence until FortisBC was able to disconnect power to the house.
Platoon Captain Tim Light, of the Kelowna Fire Department, says the suspicious materials were low-hanging electrical wires, consistent with grow-ops, although no plants were found inside the house.
Once power was disconnected, fire crews were able to extinguish the blaze.
There is no word on the amount of damage, but the house was not insured by the owner.
Fire investigators are on scene this morning.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- City to test family alcohol zone Jun 18
- Missing teenager has been found Jun 17
- Attempted murder charges laid Jun 17
- Gas leak capped on Borden Ave. Jun 17
- Wiens trial to resume in July Jun 17
- Room to grow - hotel tax continues Jun 17
- Sugar closes sorting plant Jun 17
- Assault sends one man to hospital Jun 17
- Memory card looking for a home Jun 17
- Firetrucks off to Peru Jun 17