Nov 7, 2012 / 1:54 pm
What was a disappointing season on the field for the Okanagan Sun just got a little brighter off of it.
Receiver Ben White has been named the 2012 recipient of the Past Commissioners Community Service Award.
The award is given annually to an outstanding young man playing football for a CJFL team as well as contributing to his community.
White will receive the award Friday night during the banquet of Champions in Langley.
He is a fifth year graduating receiver for the Sun out of Okanagan Mission Secondary School in Kelowna.
For the last three seasons White has been a key member of the Sun offence with 51 receptions for 1,389 yards and nine touchdowns.
The soft spoken White has been a leader among the receivers both due to his unassuming demeanour and willingness to offer advice to younger players.
Sun general manager Jay Christensen, who has coached some of the best receivers ever to play for the Okanagan Sun, says White is special for reasons beyond just his on field abilities.
“Ben is such a solid player. As a third year receiver he would play on any team that I have been involved with. His speed and hands are both exceptional," says Christensen.
"But, the thing with Ben is he is such an exceptional person. He brings a respectful way to the locker room and the field that is infectious. You can see younger players notice it even if they are unaware of it completely. He is a real role model on how you should carry yourself and respect your opponent.”
Whitewas named the club’s most sportsmanlike player in both the 2011 and 2012 seasons.
During 2012, he had the opportunity to live this out in his community, province and internationally.
In February and again in June, White travelled to Haiti, initially to explore ways he might be of help.
Through distributing food and clothing, organizing medical supplies and light construction, there is always a need to fill and work to be done in Haiti.
He worked with Rod, Debbie, Tim and Katie Wray of Kamloops, who are currently rebuilding Camp Mahanaim at Les Cayes, Haiti. The purpose of the camp is to raise up youth leaders and mentors within the villages of the area. White was also involved in coaching the girl's volleyball team, ages 9-12.
Preventive health and hygiene is a priority and Ben identified a list of items required, a fresh well water system that could both service the camp and local area, two necessary septic fields, as well as a renovation of the boy's dorm.
Upon returning home, White's enthusiasm has been infectious and he has been the reason over $50,000 has been raised to help with this work. He is currently planning to take a group of family and friends to Haiti next spring.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Nelson Mandela inspired sports superstars
- Quads return to midget tourney
- Patrick Chan settles for silver in ISU Grand Prix Final
- Taylor Hall nets hat trick as Oilers shock Avalanche
- HNIC Radio: Steve Yzerman on Stamkos's recovery
- Maple Leafs drop Stars in OT, snap 5-game skid
- Max Pacioretty lifts surging Canadiens over Bruins
- Panthers break through against Jets
- Athletes mourn Nelson Mandela's death
- Did You See That? Johnny Boychuk leaves game on stretcher
- Nelson Mandela's death mourned by sports world
- Erik Guay quickest in World Cup downhill training run
(Click for RSS instructions.)