Oct 31, 2012 / 4:58 am
The Okanagan Sun expect to begin the search for a new head coach in earnest by the end of the week.
Club president, Paul Carson, says the only hold up is finalizing the final member of the three person search committee.
Carson and general manager Jay Christensen comprise two-thirds of that committee with the third coming from the community at large.
The Sun are looking for a new coach after first year head coach Gavin Lake was fired 24 hours after a regular season ending 48-6 defeat at the hands of the Langley Rams.
Carson coached the club during its semi-final loss in Nanaimo the following week.
"We have posted the position on the website and have opened applications as of Saturday," says Carson.
"As well, we are beginning to post the opening on other websites across the country like the Canadian Coaches website and Football Chat Canada."
Carson says he will also be attending the Canadian Junior Football League championship game in Langley in 11 days time where he expects the head coaching job to be a topic of conversation.
Unlike last season when the Sun began their search in February, Carson feels this is the ideal time to be looking for a head coach.
"Now that football as a whole across the country is coming to an end, there is a lot more opportunity as opposed to last time to get people express interest. People are starting to make their plans for 2013," says Carson.
"You've got situations where there are changes going on in certain teams and programs around the country. People are now starting to think 'what am I doing next year' and beginning to entertain other options."
Carson says the Sun hope to have a new coach in place before the end of the calendar year.
Whenever a Sun coaching position comes available, the name Matthew Blokker (Snoop) always pops up.
While "Snoop" remains the head coach of the Vancouver Island Raiders, his name continues to get churned out by the rumour mill.
"He's always on the radar, but as far as I know he hasn't expressed any interest in the job. He's a very successful coach and has done great things in this league. If he expressed an interest we would obviously take a look at him," stated Carson.
"Obviously we are not in a situation where we can go to that person, which would be considered tampering. Ultimately if he has an interest he can certainly approach us as anyone else can."
Whomever the Sun hire they will become the 15th coach in franchise history and, including Carson's one game stint, the sixth head man in six years.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us firstname.lastname@example.org for publication here.
- Pavel Datsyuk agrees to 3-year extension with Red Wings
- Sharks extension for Logan Couture reportedly done
- Wharnsby: Bruins make Blackhawks look ordinary
- Eskimos QB Matt Nichols out for season with knee injury
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Tuesday's Need To Know
- Aussies, Iran, South Korea all qualify for 2014 World Cup
- Watch & Chat: Blackhawks at Bruins, Game 4
- Reed: Tahiti an embarrassment to Confed Cup
- Stampeders sign defensive back Jonathan Hefney
- France St-Louis added as Olympic assistant chef de mission
- Stanley Cup Stories: Bruins take control of final
- Flyers to sign Mark Streit to 4-year deal: report
(Click for RSS instructions.)