Oct 23, 2012 / 2:28 pm
Authorities say a California surfer has been killed by a shark off a beach at the coastal Vandenberg Air Force Base.
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department says in a statement that the attack Tuesday morning was witnessed by a friend of the victim who swam to his aid and pulled him out of the ocean.
The friend started first aid while another surfer called for help, but the victim was pronounced dead by paramedics at the scene.
The Air Force says only that the victim was 38-years-old and was not related to the base.
Sheriff's officials say the type of shark involved and other details are under investigation at this point.
Read more World News
- Pope decries banks over people
- French gay marriage law signed
- Car drives into crowd at Virginia parade
- Powerball jackpot $600M and rising
- Plane catches fire at Moscow airport
- First Saudi woman scales Mount Everest
- North Korea fires 3 short-range missiles
- 60 injured as trains collide
- Bunga bunga girls dressed as sexy nuns
- Car bomb kills 9, wounds 70
- Who knocked up the anteater?
- Mom smashes into car to save child
(Click for RSS instructions.)