Oct 22, 2012 / 2:08 pm
The Okanagan Rockets head into their first bye weekend of the season on a high note after winning their 5th straight home game with a 4-1 victory over the visiting Thompson Blazers. The win completed a weekend sweep for the Rockets who beat the Blazers 5-0 in Chase on Saturday.
Similar to Saturday's effort in Chase, the Rockets found themselves with a 3-0 lead after the 1st period and cruised from there.
Unlike Saturday, the Blazers were able to beat Reid Kilburn for a goal on Sunday. Hayden Orton walked in and beat Kilburn high ending his bid for a second consecutive shutout at the 4:34 mark of the 3rd period.
The Rockets received goals from for different players on Sunday including team captain Brendan Wagner and his league leading 11th of the year.
Wagner has managed at least a point in all 10 games this season. Also scoring for the Rockets was Brett Mennear with his sixth, Carter Hikichi with his first of the season, and Spencer Hewson with his sixth.
Josh Blanchard had a pair of assists for his fifth multi-point game of the season.
Reid Kilburn improved to 5-0-0 on the year making just 11 saves for the Rockets, while Griffin Baillie took the loss in goal for the Blazers, although he was sharp making 38 saves.
The win improves the Rockets record to 8-1-1 through 10 games. The 17 points is good enough for sole possession of 1st place, although both the Cougars are Giants are within striking distance of the Rockets who will be idle next weekend.
Regardless of where the Rockets find themselves in the standings after next weekend, the Rockets feel it's an early case of so far so good.
"I'm pleased with where our club is at right now. "The thing I continue to like about our group is our team maturity, they don't seem to get very high on themselves which is what we preach," says Rockets general manager David Michaud.
"This group knows that 10 games doesn't make a season, and we also know we have a tough stretch coming up after our bye weekend. The group will enjoy the weekend off, but it provides us the chance to work on some areas of our game that we feel need some attention."
The Rockets will welcome the Cariboo Cougars to the Capital News Centre on November 3rd and 4th.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us email@example.com for publication here.
- OK Sun get three more top recruits
- Thunder star Kevin Durant makes $1M US tornado pledge
- Emmanuel Arceneaux happy to be back with B.C. Lions
- Next 49ers stadium named site of 50th Super Bowl
- Rangers' Tortorella expects better from Girardi on home ice
- Avalanche silent on report Patrick Roy will become coach
- Anchoring long putters in golf prohibited as of 2016
- Bryan Colangelo disappointed but accepting of Raptors' decision
- Raptors shake up front office, Colangelo in reduced role
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Tuesday's Need To Know
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: 2013 Overtime Heroes
- Wharnsby: Benoit is all heart, hard work for Senators
(Click for RSS instructions.)