Central Okanagan News
Effective at 12 noon today ( Monday), all open fires will be permitted within the Kamloops Fire Centre, due to a decreased risk of wildfires.
The public can now:
- Burn any material larger than a half-metre high by a half-metre wide.
- Burn stubble or grass.
- Use fireworks or burning barrels of any size or description.
Anyone considering Category 2 or 3 fires must comply with the Ministry of Environment’s Waste Management Act and open burning smoke control regulation. For more information click here.
Category 3 fires require a burn registration number, which may be obtained by calling 1 888 797-1717. Individuals who fail to meet these requirements may be subject to fines.
Please follow these tips on using fire safely:
- Keep fire sites away from buildings, trees and other combustible materials.
- Do not burn during windy conditions.
- Have adequate people, water and hand tools available to prevent the fire from escaping.
- Never leave a fire unattended.
The onus is on each individual to ensure safe, responsible burning, as outlined by the Wildfire Act and regulations. Those found to have been responsible for an escaped fire may be liable for fire suppression costs and damages.
The rescinding of the restrictions applies to all BC Parks, Crown and private lands, but does not apply within the boundaries of local governments that have forest fire prevention bylaws and are serviced by a fire department. Please check with civic authorities for any restrictions before lighting a fire.
Report a wildfire or unattended burning by calling *5555 on your cellphone or toll-free to 1-800 663-5555.
Here is a forest fire info chart comparing the last five years in BC.
Read more Central Okanagan articles
- Snowbirds hit townKelowna
- Pilot out of hospitalVernon / N. Okanagan
- Highway 97 reopenedVernon / N. Okanagan
- Wildfire doused quicklyCentral Okanagan
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library