Oct 22, 2012 / 8:30 am
The Okanagan Sun season came to a crashing half on the weekend as the club fell 34-8 in Nanaimo Saturday.
Sunday, individual efforts were honoured as the Sun handed out its annual hardware.
Defensive end Steven Doege and slotback Bobby Davis shared the club's MVP aware.
As well as sharing the award, both Doege and Davis are sharing a dream of someday playing in the Canadian Football League. Both have been practicing during the week with the BC Lions.
Doege establishd a club record with 12 quarterback sacks this season and also set a CJFL career record with 43.5 sacks.
Davis caught 29 passes for 498 yards and three touchdowns. He also led the club with seven touchdowns on the season.
Along with his co-MVP award, Davis was also named most popular as voted on by the players and was the team's scoring leader with 42 points.
First year quarterback Cam Bedore was named rookie of the year.
Bedore, thrust into the starters role days before the start of the season after projected starter Jeremy Joseph Mraovic was released, completed 117 of 239 passes for 2,005 yards and 14 touchdowns.
Other award winners announced Sunday include:
- Most Inspirational - Jack Rush
- Most Improved - Jesse Kendall
- Most Sportsmanlike - Ben White
- Special Teams Player - Robbie Yochim
- Top Defensive Back - Blake Butler
- Top Linebacker - Brandon Donkers
- Top Offensive Back - Alex Bradley
- Top Receiver - Tommy Howes
- Top Defensive Lineman - Steven Doege
- Top Offensive Lineman - Jordon Pfeifer
- Okanagan Minor Football Grad Award - Landon King
The Sun brain trust now turn their attention to the task of looking for a new head coach to replace Gavin Lake who was fired following the final regular season game.
Sun president, Paul Carson, who filled in on an interim basis in Nanaimo Saturday stated once Lake was fired that a search for a successor would begin following the season.
A search committee will be struck to look for the club's sixth head coach in six years.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us email@example.com for publication here.
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: 2013 Overtime Heroes
- Wharnsby: Benoit is all heart, hard work for Senators
- Yankees, Manchester City to be owners of next MLS club
- Canadian hurdler Nikkita Holder announces she's pregnant
- Martin Brodeur joins Hockey Night in Canada
- Quebec's Eugenie Bouchard advances at French Open tuneup
- Grizzlies look to claw back in Game 2
- Jays' Ramon Ortiz faces Rays just shy of 40th birthday
- Sharks look to erase deficit in Game 4 against Kings
- Rangers hope to begin another comeback, but Bruins formidable
- Pro athletes react with shock, sympathy to Oklahoma disaster
- Mikhail Grabovski admits to biting Hab in Feb. 9 game: report
(Click for RSS instructions.)