Oct 21, 2012 / 2:37 pm
Gorman Brothers Lumber in West Kelowna has won a Power Smart Excellence Award for their commitment to energy conservation and efficiency.
The organization was one of 27 BC based companies recognized by BC Hydro for the 2012 awards.
Gormans received the Power Smart Leader Award – BC Hydro’s highest level of customer recognition – for a best in-class approach to energy management.
The lumber company has incorporated energy management into every aspect of its business.
BC Hydro says from 2011 to 2012 Gorman Brothers saved 4.1 gigawatt hours of electricity, or enough to power 372 homes for a year.
They says the company tracks energy-efficiency as a key performance indicator and has a comprehensive employee engagement program across their multiple sites, ensuring staff are fully on board with energy reduction efforts.
The 2012 bi-annual Power Smart Excellence Awards recognize 27 winners in 11 categories.
Since 2008, Power Smart has saved 3,400 gigawatt hours a year of electricity – enough to power 309,000 BC homes and BC Hydro’s business customers account for more than 60 per cent of annual Power Smart savings.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Golf course fire ruled an arson May 13
- Uncovering youth homelessness May 13
- Westshore water advisory May 12
- West Kelowna will control its own pests May 12
- Shannon Lake clubhouse video May 11
- Van goes into restaurant May 11
- Clubhouse destroyed by fire May 11
- Mystery driver wrecks car May 10
- Motorists asked to avoid Angus Drive May 10
- Burnt out headlight tips off cops May 9