Oct 20, 2012 / 6:00 pm
For 30 minutes Saturday it looked as if the Okanagan Sun might pull off a monumental upset in Nanaimo.
Then they played the second half.
The VI Raiders put an end to a dismal Sun season, beating up on their guests 34-8 in one BC Football Conference semi-final.
Trailing 8-3 at the break, the Raiders scored 24 unanswered points in the third quarter to assume a commanding 27-8 lead. They cruised from there.
The game came down to the Sun's inability to convert in the first half when they dominated the Raiders and VI's ability to score on their opportunities in the second half.
Alex Bradley got the Sun on the board first with a 54 yard run on the first possession of the game.
They managed only a Steven Shott punt single the rest of the way.
The Raiders started slowly thanks to a stifling Sun defence. They managed only a Mark Mueller punt single and a safety conceded by Shott in the opening 30 minutes.
The second half was a different story.
Raiders quarterback Jordan Yantz scored on a pair of one-year touchdown runs on the Raiders first two possessions coming out of the halftime locker room.
Following a Mueller field goal Yantz hit Dustin Rodriguez with a 56-yard TD and the route was on.
The Raiders closed out the scoring in the fourth quarter when Yantz tossed his second major of the half with a 14 yard striker to Whitman Tomusiak.
Sun quarterback Cam Bedore was picked off four times in the game, including a pair in the second quarter when the Sun were driving in Raiders territory.
Saturday's loss ends a disappointing season in which the club finished with a franchise worst 3-7 regular season record.
The team also fired first year head coach Gavin Lake less than 48 hours after last Saturday's regular season ending 48-6 defeat at the hands of the Langley Rams.
Club president Paul Carson assumed head coaching duties for Saturday's game in Nanaimo.
The search now begins for his successor as the Sun look for their sixth head coach in six seasons.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us email@example.com for publication here.
- Pavel Datsyuk agrees to 3-year extension with Red Wings
- Sharks extension for Logan Couture reportedly done
- Wharnsby: Bruins make Blackhawks look ordinary
- Eskimos QB Matt Nichols out for season with knee injury
- Stanley Cup Playoffs: Tuesday's Need To Know
- Aussies, Iran, South Korea all qualify for 2014 World Cup
- Watch & Chat: Blackhawks at Bruins, Game 4
- Reed: Tahiti an embarrassment to Confed Cup
- Stampeders sign defensive back Jonathan Hefney
- France St-Louis added as Olympic assistant chef de mission
- Stanley Cup Stories: Bruins take control of final
- Flyers to sign Mark Streit to 4-year deal: report
(Click for RSS instructions.)