Oct 20, 2012 / 9:09 am
The RCMP has released a video of a man pointing a laser at their Air 2 helicopter after the suspect entered a guilty plea.
Alexander William Schiller of Langley has pleaded guilty “to unlawfully engaging in a behaviour that endangered the safety or security of an aircraft in flight by intentionally lessening the ability of a crew member to perform that crew member’s duties by projecting a bright light source."
The plea is in relation to an April, 2011 incident where Schiller pointed a hand held laser at an RCMP Air 2 while it was on duty.
This type of violation of the Aeronautics Act is taken very seriously by police.
“People need to understand that there very real dangers to people in the aircraft, and people on the ground, when a light source is directed at pilots and flight crew,” says Cpl. Curtis Brassington, RCMP Tactical Flight Officer.
“While we are in the air it is necessary to carefully monitor instruments and make quick and accurate adjustments. If we are blinded by a laser everyone’s safety is compromised.”
Schiller is scheduled to be sentenced on January 25, 2013.
Read more BC News
- Ahmadiyya mosque opens in Delta
- BC NDP's bus ride went beyond Hope
- Vancouver man shot dead in Costa Rica
- Company intercepts LSD-laced mail
- Hydro project to go ahead in northern BC
- Pickton victims' families skeptical
- Coroners warn of water danger
- RCMP surround Langley home
- Beware of counterfeit polymer $100's
- Cowichan to close six middle schools
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
(Click for RSS instructions.)