Oct 18, 2012 / 2:15 pm
The recent cool weather in the Okanagan continues to reveal just how many homeowners neglect some of the basic general maintenance requirements for both their furnace and fireplace.
The latest example happened early Thursday afternoon, when the West Kelowna Fire Department was called out to a report of heavy smoke pouring out of the chimney of a home on Peters Road.
"Just after the noon hour we got a call for a possible structure fire," says West Kelowna Assistant Fire Chief Kerry Klonteig.
"When the crews arrived they noticed there was some pretty heavy smoke coming out of the chimney. Once we did our initial investigation we found that it basically was just contained to a chimney fire. There was no extension into the attic or any smoke damage inside the house."
Klonteig says the family will be able to return to their home once his crews are finished, but added they should get their fireplace cleaned before they use it again.
"They should get it checked by a fireplace technician," says Klonteig.
"With fall coming on now and a little cooler weather, people start using their fireplaces. They should be getting them cleaned basically every year before the start of fireplace season."
Last week, the Kelowna Fire Department responded to a number of incidents involving furnaces which had problems due to being improperly maintained.
Read more West Kelowna articles
- Golf course fire ruled an arson May 13
- Uncovering youth homelessness May 13
- Westshore water advisory May 12
- West Kelowna will control its own pests May 12
- Shannon Lake clubhouse video May 11
- Van goes into restaurant May 11
- Clubhouse destroyed by fire May 11
- Mystery driver wrecks car May 10
- Motorists asked to avoid Angus Drive May 10
- Burnt out headlight tips off cops May 9