Oct 18, 2012 / 5:00 am
Long gone are the old age beliefs that pregnancy should be treated like an "illness" and that mom-to-be should sit back, relax and stay inactive through pregnancy. Being a fit and active mom-to-be has so many benefits! In the fabulous world of internet we have all the information at our fingertips, everyone is privy to all the knowledge and facts that the doctors and fitness professionals spend so much time educating themselves on.
When finding out the amazing news of pregnancy you may find yourself ambushed with information, facts, theories and personal stories about what to expect, what to do, not to do and how you should feel. It can be a very joyous yet scary time for any woman. You will find below some informative and important facts that every mom-to-be should know about fitness and pregnancy. Hopefully with all of following information no pregnant woman will feel uneasy about staying active throughout her pregnancy.
Benefits of staying active throughout pregnancy
An active pregnancy will help to prevent wear and tear on your joints which become loosened during pregnancy due to hormonal changes. You will find that staying active will also help you to sleep better by relieving stress and anxiety that might make you restless at night, relieve back aches and improve your posture by strengthening and toning muscles in your back, butt and thighs.
Exercise can increase your sense of control and boost your energy level. It will make you feel better by releasing endorphins (naturally occurring chemicals in your brain) and help to prepare your body for birth, strong muscles and heart. It can greatly ease labor and delivery by allowing you to gain control of your breathing and management of pain. In the event of a lengthy labor, increased endurance can be a real help.
Tips for mom-to-be working out
- As you may have noticed, your breasts are getting bigger and heavier. If the bra you are wearing does not provide enough support you could overstretch and permanently damage the ligaments that support your breasts.
- Holding your breath increases your blood pressure, something that is not good for your baby. When working out or being active ensure you focus on deep breathing, get your self well practiced for the big day of the delivery.
- Avoid becoming overheated. Raising your body's core temperature could cause your baby to develop certain types of brain and spinal cord abnormalities.
- Always ensure you are able to carry on a conversation throughout your workout, if you are huffing and puffing it's time to ease off a bit. Keep a water bottle close by so you can drink before, during and after your workout.
If you are leading an active lifestyle ensure that in the 2nd and 3rd trimester you are consuming an extra 300 calories per day.
Did you know that it takes 45 minutes for the baby to receive the nutrition from your meal you have just eaten? A lot of moms tend to forget that whatever they are eating, baby is eating as well. That greasy hamburger and french fries suddenly may not seem too appealing anymore! This is the perfect time to focus on speeding up your metabolism. This means eating healthy snacks often throughout the day combined with your 3 to 4 healthy meals a day. Remember, baby is getting the nutritional value of the food you are eating - make those snacks healthy choices such as nuts, veggies (every color from the rainbow), fruits and cheeses.
Our body is a brilliant machine, it tells us exactly what it is needing in order for it to function properly...hence cravings. We just need to learn to decode what we are being asked to feed ourselves. If you could understand your cravings would you choose healthier food choices to fulfil that craving?
If you have had those cravings such as salt and vinegar potatoes chips, grab a pickle instead! You will be surprised to find your desire for salty potatoes chips gone!
How about Ice cream? Let's go for a slice of cheese or some yogurt and see what happens.
Instead of those pesky french fries, why not try healthier options such as whole grain rice, baked potatoes or pasta.
You thinking of a big greasy hamburger? Go for some nuts instead to satisfy the craving, then make your own delicious juicy hamburger with lean ground beef.
Of course you are going to want to fulfil your cravings and enjoy the tasty treats - it is allowed, you are pregnant! Just choose to be smart and understand your options!
Enjoy your active pregnancy and all of the amazing benefits that come along with it!
Read more Kasie's Health & Fitness Tips articles
- Meditate your way to better health Apr 18
- Are you sweating during your workout? Apr 4
- No more plateaus! Mar 21
- Power thoughts Mar 7
- Benefits of exercise & mental health! Feb 21
- How's your posture? Feb 7
- Readers questions answered Jan 24
- Feeding the soul Jan 10
- Is 2013 your year for success? Dec 13
- Self-sabotage Nov 29
- Time saving fitness tips! Nov 15
- Speeding up your metabolism Nov 1
(Click for RSS instructions.)