Oct 15, 2012 / 10:06 am
The body of a missing kayaker from Canmore, Alberta has been discovered in the Cheakamus River near Whistler.
Whistler Pemberton RCMP has confirmed that the body is that of 19-year-old Peter Thompson, who went missing Sept. 28 after going over a waterfall on the river.
“On October 13, several of the missing male's friends attended the area and observed the stern of the missing male's kayak sticking out of the water,” said Sgt. Steve LeClair in a press release Monday. “They were able to dislodge the kayak which still contained the body of the male.”
The body was secured downstream and removed from the area with the assistance of Whistler Search and Rescue.
Read more BC News
- Tips for staying safe this long weekend
- Body recovered at Golden Ears Park
- Body recovered from creek
- Fire prohibitions start today
- Elections BC: don't tweet on election day
- Fire fighters aided by rain, cool temps
- Ferry officer will appeal conviction
- ATV rider swept over falls, killed
- Evacuation order lifted near Ashcroft
- Rock hits tent killing girl, 10 and her dad
- Hwy. 97C at Ashcroft is open
- Fisherman catches a body in his net
(Click for RSS instructions.)