Oct 13, 2012 / 11:47 am
Testimony is scheduled to begin next week in a trial that will focus on Britney Spears' darkest days, but jurors are unlikely to hear from the pop superstar directly.
Jury selection began Friday in a libel and defamation trial filed by Spears' former manager and confidante, Sam Lutfi.
He claims he's owed a share of the singer's fortune and that he's been unfairly vilified by Spears' mother.
A judge overseeing Spears' ongoing conservatorship has ordered the singer not to appear at the trial.
Lutfi's attorney has sought the 30-year-old's testimony to prove that statements made about Lutfi's involvement in her public meltdown are untrue.
Spears' mom Lynne accused Lutfi in court filings of drugging and isolating her daughter, and the claims were repeated in a 2008 book.
Read more World News
- 80-year-old stands on top of the world
- Tiger gets hairball surgery
- Stockholm riots continue
- UK attack could be terrorists
- Captors release 7
- FBI kill man in Orlando
- Trial set for Costa Concordia captain
- Climbers aged 80 & 81 race up Everest
- Search for tornado survivors nears end
- Race on to find tornado survivors
- Suicide in Notre Dame Cathedral
- 14 Afghan police killed in day of attacks
(Click for RSS instructions.)