Oct 10, 2012 / 8:48 pm
The prospect of holding the Okanagan Film Festival International at UBC Okanagan has fallen through.
Now the festival, scheduled to open Thursday is again without a home.
UBC Okanagan issued the following press release shortly after 5 p.m. Wednesday evening.
Contrary to earlier media reports, UBC's Okanagan campus has not agreed to provide a venue for the Okanagan Film Festival this weekend.
Some time ago, organizers of the Okanagan Film Festival were approached by UBC students about holding a special screening of student-made short films in the Administration Building's ADM 026 Theatre on the weekend of Oct. 20 and 21. It is hoped that the proposed student short-film screenings will proceed.
While touring the ADM 026 Theatre on Tuesday evening with students, Okanagan Film Festival organizers expressed interest in using that facility for this week's festival. A booking request was submitted and considered today, Oct. 10.
Due to the short notice, the Okanagan Film Festival's request to use the ADM 026 Theatre from this Friday through Sunday, Oct. 12 to 14, has not been granted as it does not allow sufficient time to arrange the campus support services -- including security, facilities, custodial and parking staff -- required for an event of this type.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16
- Collision causes gas spill May 16
- Cross-dressing groper on the loose May 16
- Kelowna crime down in first quarter May 15
- Liberal triumph good for business May 15
- Mission Creek flood watch lifted May 14
- Paving coming to a road near you May 14
- Two-wheel transportation turns the tide May 14
- Capital spending may top $500M by 2020 May 14
- Kelowna Council highlights May 13