Oct 8, 2012 / 2:30 pm
A grower from Oregon has won a local giant pumpkin contest with a gourd weighing in at 1,775 pounds (805 kilograms).
Forty-five-year-old Thad Starr from Pleasant Hill, Oregon, set a Half Moon Bay contest record with his pumpkin Monday, beating last year's winner by 71 pounds (32 kilograms).
Starr, who has won the contest twice before, said he plans to use the $10,650 in prize money to take his family to Disneyland.
The runner-up came in at 1,521 pounds (690 kilograms).
Read more World News
- 14 Afghan police killed in day of attacks
- Tornado death toll now at 24
- Did cheese fight lead to poisoning?
- Photographer describes kids' rescue
- Singer, 18, now up in the Clouds
- White House staff knew of tax probe
- Penn urges US to pressure Bolivia
- Missing in Mexico
- United Airlines resumes 787 flights
- Jackson concerts cost AEG $24M
- Oklahoma school takes direct hit
- James Caan revisits the '70s at Cannes
(Click for RSS instructions.)