The City of Kelowna will half-mast flags at City Hall today to honour Barbara Anne Scott, one of the first recipients of the Freedom of the City.
Scott died Sunday at the age of 84 at her home in Florida. Her funeral is Friday.
Barbara Ann Scott won the World Figure Skating Championship in 1947 at the age of 18. She repeated as champion in 1948 and went on to win the European title and the Olympic Gold medal that year.
“I think the city – like the rest of Canada – just fell in love with her because of her charm, grace and talent,” said Mayor Walter Gray. “I had a long-distance friendship over the years with Barbara and her husband Tom King, keeping in touch with letters and Christmas cards. So, I was saddened by the news of her passing, and lowering the flags is a good way for Kelowna to say goodbye to a beloved Canadian who made such an impression on our city.”
Scott performed in Kelowna in October 1949 with the ‘Skating Sensation of 1950’ ice show for the opening of the Memorial Arena. After that performance, she was made a Freeman of the City, an honorary member of the Kelowna Jaycees and was presented with a gold brooch after her skating performance.
The Freedom of the City is the highest accolade conferred by the City of Kelowna.
Freedom of the City - past recipients:
- Brigadier H.H. (Harry) Angle, DSO January 7th, 1946
- Barbara Ann Scott October 24th, 1949
- Honourable William Andrew Cecil Bennett, PC December 8th, 1952
- George Howard Dunn April 4th, 1955
- Stanley Merriam Simpson April 15th, 1957
- Dr. William John Knox January 3rd, 1961
- British Columbia Dragoons February 11th, 1963
- Major General George Randolph Pearkes, VC, DSO and MC April 24th, 1967
- Richard Francis Parkinson January 5th, 1970
- Dr. Walter Frederick Anderson September 28th, 1981
- Blair James Horn September 11th, 1984
- Honourable William Richards Bennett, P.C. November 1st, 1988
- James H. Stuart July 1, 2001
- Ben Lee July 1, 2001
- Senator Ross Fitzpatrick, May 26, 2008
Read more Kelowna News
- 2nd largest tree in CanadaBC - 11:03 am
- Crash stops trafficKelowna - 11:20 am
- 6.7 quake felt in KelownaBC
- Charged with 1st degree murderBC
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library