Oct 1, 2012 / 1:00 pm
Motorists travelling along McKinley Road in Glenmore this month can expect delays as crews begin to widen the road.
Starting Oct. 3, traffic on McKinley Road adjacent to the reservoir will experience intermittent road closures until mid-October.
“Small, controlled rock blasting will take place during these times to widen the road and provide safety upgrades,” the City of Kelowna said in a travel advisory Monday. Road closures will be in effect twice daily, Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
The $458,000 project will increase the curve from a 40-metre radius to 60, straighten and add a larger curve at the start of the reservoir side, and widen travel lanes to 3.5 metres, with a one-metre shoulder. The city will also add concrete barriers on the reservoir side of the road as part of its safety upgrades.
The city awarded the project to OK Excavating, administrated by Stantec.
The project is scheduled for completion at the end of November.
Motorists can visit the city's road report for the most up-to-date road construction and potential delays.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Dangerous Dog Act challenged May 23
- Early morning fire May 23
- Marina moving along May 22
- Kelowna closes all sportfields May 22
- Big Red rolls through Kelowna May 22
- Greenway underpasses closed May 22
- Former Miss Kelowna earns gold May 22
- New middle school for Upper Mission May 22
- Victim services honour BC Liquor Stores May 22
- Power back on in East Kelowna May 21