Sep 30, 2012 / 3:14 pm
Raylene Rankin of the internationally acclaimed Nova Scotia musical group The Rankin Family has died after losing her fight with cancer.
Marlene Palmer, The Rankin Family's tour publicist, says Rankin's sister Heather confirmed that Raylene passed away Sunday.
She was 52.
Rankin along with her four siblings, John Morris, Jimmy, Cookie and Heather, formed the group more than 20 years ago.
They are credited with taking Cape Breton Celtic music to the mainstream.
In 2000, John Morris Rankin died when his truck plunged into the icy Gulf of St. Lawrence near Margaree Harbour, N.S. He was 40.
Read more Canada News
- Spectator killed during Jeep demo
- Panda exhibit opens at Toronto Zoo
- Fishermen missing off NB coast
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford cancels show
- Family found unconscious in fire
- Saskatchewan zombies
- Sen. Pamela Wallin latest to leave caucus
- 5.1 earthquake near Ottawa
- Mom and 5-year-old killed in Calgary
- Cocaine video & Toronto's mayor
- Duffy quits Conservative caucus
- Liquor Control Board averts strike