On Sunday morning breast cancer survivors, their families, friends, and supporters ran for a future without breast cancer by participating in the annual Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure in Kelowna.
Participants walked or ran either the five or one kilometre route, after fund raising in the months leading up to the event.
In Kelowna more than $253,000 was raised, contributing to the more than $30 million raised across Canada.
At British Columbia’s eight sites, around 22,000 participants contributed to the regional fund raising total of $3.15 million.
All funds support initiatives in prevention, early detection, treatment, research and emerging issues in the health care workforce.
“The countless hours spent organizing this event and the funds raised show the passion that unites our supporters to not only change the face of breast cancer but further our understanding of it. We are so extremely grateful to all of our supporters and participants,” says Joan Chambers, board chair, Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation - BC/ Yukon Region.
At then end of the run, a number of awards were handed out to some of the top fund raisers in Kelowna:
- Determination Award for the individual who raised the most donations: Rosie Allingham
- CIBC Corporate Spirit Team Challenge Award winner for the most donations raised by a corporate team: Pepsi Inspires Hope.
- Women’s Team Challenge Award for the team of women who raised the most donations: Bust'n Loose.
- Friends and Family Team Challenge Award (presented by East Side Mario’s) for the team in the community which raises the most donations: Rosie's Runners.
- School Team Challenge Award (presented by Domino’s Pizza) for the school team which raised the most donations: K.S.S. Owls/UBCO Nursing.
- Post Secondary Challenge Award for the student who raised the most donations: Melanie Kalloo.
The Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure is Canada’s largest single day, volunteer-led fund raising event for research, education and awareness.
Volunteer Run Directors Barb Hoy and Ann Davis commended the volunteers who made the event possible.
“The ongoing success of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure is attributed to thousands of dedicated volunteers who commit time, energy and resources to the cause. For them, this isn’t about a one-day event with thousands of participants. This is one step in the journey towards a future when no one need fear a diagnosis of breast cancer.”
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and donations can be made on-line until the end of the month or by calling 1-800-561-6111.
If you were there, send your pictures and video to [email protected]
Read more Kelowna News
- Famous cyclist leads campKelowna - 11:13 am
- 6th Lake Country car showCentral Okanagan - 10:12 am
- DPA street party and night marketPenticton / S. Okanagan
- RDCO Diesel Spill UpdateKelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Tourism Kelowna Central Okanagan
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
Okanagan Regional Library