Sep 28, 2012 / 9:20 pm
In its race for Ironman, Kelowna has made it to the top three.
The World Triathlon Corporation announced the three finalists from the bid process to host the 2013 Ironman Canada: Kelowna, Whistler and Huntsville, Ontario.
According to the Ironman website, the selection of the three Canadian communities was based on criteria as stated in the bid process that closed on Sept. 24. There were seven communities in Canada that submitted bids.
As part of the next phase in the selection process, Ironman staff will conduct in-depth visits to each finalist community.
Vernon and Kamloops had also placed bids to host the event.
Mayor Walter Gray decided to miss the UBCM this week, instead opting to lead a contingent to meet with the Ironman group in Tampa. It looks like the move might have paid off.
Ironman says they will announce the host for the 2013 event by mid-October.
Read more Kelowna News
City of Kelowna
Kelowna Discussion Forum
Kelowna's Cultural District
Kelowna Road Closures
William R. Bennett Bridge
Central Okanagan Regional District
District of Peachland
District of Lake Country
School District 23
- Rutland May Day Parade video May 19
- Kasugai Gardens open into the evening May 19
- The Week in Review May 19
- Rutland May Days' information May 18
- Knox Mtn. Hill Climb crash May 18
- Gas prices spike ahead of long weekend May 18
- More eyes in the sky May 18
- Body recovered from Ok Lake May 17
- City Hall to ask elected MLAs for cash May 17
- Cyclist hit on Baron Rd. May 16