Sep 27, 2012 / 3:59 pm
It was a clean sweep for the UBC Okanagan track teams last weekend as both the men's and women's cross country teams out duelled the Thompson Rivers University Wolfpack.
Competing on the Eagle Trail, just off UBC’s Okanagan campus, the Heat came up with a pair of victories.
The Heat women ran an especially quick race, taking the first four spots Saturday to achieve the lowest possible team score of 10 points.
First year Human Kinetics student Michelle Blackburne of West Kelowna led all women, winning the four kilometre race with a time of 16:17 on the challenging course, beating out teammate Ashley Yip by 21 seconds.
Alea Stockton was third with a time of 16:44 and Trisha Metro placed 4th, finishing one second back.
Despite a one-two finish by the Wolfpack in the men's race, the Heat men won the team title with 18 points.
TRU runners Chris Curl won the race in a time of 21:31 followed by Evan Hall at 21:40.
The top Heat runner was Orillia, Ontario's David Harbocian who led his team with a 3rd place finish in 21:44 on the six kilometre course.
Rounding out the scorers for UBC Okanagan were Roger Sherwood (4th, 21:47), Garrett Anstett (5th, 21:56), and Carlos Capela (6th, 22:02).
Coaches Nikki and Nathan Reiter were very pleased with the teams’ performances.
“Our men’s and women’s teams ran tightly packed today, exhibiting only an 18-second spread from first to fourth on the men’s side and a 28-second spread on the women’s side, indicating that they recognize the importance of all four runners finishing as quickly as possible” says Nikki Reiter.
Next up for the heat is a trip to the Pacific Lutheran University Invitational in Tacoma, Washington on Saturday, September 29 to compete in the PLU invitational.
Read more Sports News
- Kelowna Rockets
- West Kelowna Warriors
- Penticton Vees
- Vernon Vipers
- Kelowna Chiefs
- Penticton Lakers
- Okanagan College Coyotes
- Kelowna Minor Hockey
- Westside Minor Hockey
- Penticton Minor Hockey
- Vernon Minor Hockey
- Winfield Minor Hockey
- Pepsi Premier Hockey League
- Kelowna Ball Hockey
- Okanagan Ball Hockey
- Penticton Ball Hockey
- Sunplex Ball Hockey
- Field Hockey Okanagan
- Okanagan Rockets
- Lake Country Old-Timers Hockey Association
- Orchard City Hockey League
- Kelowna Heat Spring Hockey
- Okanagan All Stars Hockey Club
- Knights of West Kelowna
- BCHL | KIJHL | WHL | NHL
- Kelowna Women's Soccer
- Kelowna Men's Soccer
- Okanagan Challenge
- Kelowna United FC
- Central Okanagan Youth
- Kelowna Youth Soccer
- Westside Youth Soccer
- Rutland Youth Soccer
- Lake Country Youth Soccer
- Penticton Soccer Club
- South Okanagan Similkameen Youth Soccer
- Thompson Okanagan Football Club
- Sunplex Futsal League
- Pepsi Premier Soccer League
- CSA | FIFA | MLS
- Kelowna AquaJets
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club
- Ogopogo Summer Swim Club
- Okanagan Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Masters Swim Club
- Kelowna Badminton Club
- The Penticton Yacht & Tennis
- OK Mission Tennis
- Lakeview Heights Tennis
- Vernon Tennis Association
- Squash BC Okanagan League
- ESPN Tennis
Does your local team have a website?
Email us to add your community sports link.
Cover your team's games! Write up a story and email us [email protected] for publication here.
- Flames welcome offensively challenged Hurricanes
- Mike Morse joins Giants on 1-year contract
- Senators seek redemption with Sabres in town
- Canadiens' road stretch begins in tough Philadelphia
- Own the Podium program to get $37M over 4 years
- Rockets take bite out of Warriors
- Maple Leafs fall to red-hot Kings
- Bartolo Colon agrees to 2-year, $20M deal with Mets: report
- MLB to eliminate collisions at home plate
- Borussia Dortmund, Milan advance in UEFA Champions League
- Lindsey Vonn to skip World Cup stop this weekend
- Michigan Stadium transforms into ice rink
(Click for RSS instructions.)